Here are my goals:
- All Pics/Videos stored online [Picasa Web Albums], where they are backed up, easy to share (without creating more space hogging copies) and accessible across all our connected devices.
- All Docs stored online [Google Drive], where they are backed up, easy to share (without creating more space hogging copies) and accessible across all our connected devices.
- Printers online [Google Cloud Print] (printable from everywhere independently of Operating System or location - have a web browser, can print), and accessible from our iOS devices as well.
- Home PC - Google ChromeOS based "cloud only" Samsung Series 3 ChromeBox (the first ChromeOS based desktop).
- Move our domains to one location and host their email accounts on Gmail (Google Apps for Business is free to users with less than 10 email accounts). Enable Google Drive and other Google services/apps for those same accounts.
- Use one of my domains as a "custom domain" for a Blogger based blog (which I hope to use to show tutorials, share experiences, etc.)
The end result should be that folks, like my parents, should be able to use their mulderhome.com email account (which will actually be a Google Account with Gmail based email) to do the following via ONE login:
- Log in to their ChromeBox PC and access anything online
- Access, create, edit, print, share their Docs via Google Drive
- Check, send, create their email via Gmail
- Print to any of their printers via Google Cloud Print
- Blog (if they wish) via Blogger (owned by Google)
- Share and view pictures via Picasa (owned by Google)
- Play music (yes, even iTunes stuff) via Google Play
It's a tall order, and due to a small uninformed blooper I made late last night testing all of this, I won't be able to complete this "deployment" until this coming weekend... but I'm excited about it!!